Re: cross compile flag in Makefile?

matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> pkgsrc cross-compile (target arm from your amd64, for example) has
> been coming up again and I would like to revive the idea of flagging
> cross-compile friendly packages in their Makefile.
>
> Something along the lines of:
> CROSS_TARGETS or even CROSS_FRIENDLY
>
> I feel like this was brought up before but didn't get much traction.
> What are the philosophies on this?

(pmc hat off)

I think the issue is that in the glorious future all packages will be
cross buildable, just like all will work with -j.   But that's not so
realistic.  Still, if perl and python were cross-buildable, we'd get a
huge number that work.

So that leads me to suggest

  CROSS_SAFE=no

for packages known to fail, once we have say 25 packages that can be
cross built.   This is a combination of not setting ourselves up for
havingto flip all the variables as we succeed and setting a tone that
packages that aren't cross-buildable are broken, rather than that
cross-buildable packages are special and odd.

It would be really cool if somone did a cross bulk build (and I agree
with your example target as a good first case), even with a limited set,
and sent mail to the bulk list.   I am totally unclear on how many
packages would build.