Re: ghostscript confusion

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

> There's the AGPL version maintained at
> http://ghostscript.sourceforge.net/ or http://ghostscript.com which is
> in pkgsrc as ghostscript-agpl (9.15 currently).
>
> Then we have a package called ghostscript-gpl, which uses the same
> master site though, just an older version (9.05 currently).
>
> And then I found a recent announcement in gnu.announce about GNU
> ghostscript-9.14 which is maintained at
> http:/www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/
>
> Should we switch our ghostscript-gpl package to use that master
> site/homepage and update to 9.14, or is it completely different from
> what we have in the ghostscript-gpl package?

The basic issue is that ghostscript used to be GPL, and upstream
changed the license to AGPL.   People were upset by that, so the last
GPL version remains in pkgsrc, and the ghostscript meta-package defaults
to it.

Sometime projects use the AGPL because of deep philosophical opinions
(e.g. Diaspora*).  Sometimes it's part of a strategy to make use of free
software more awkward for companies in order to sell them proprietary
licenses.  This can be hard to tease apart, but requiring inbound
contributions to be under a permissive license (vs the open source norm
of asking for an inbound license matching the outbound license) and
offering proprietary licenses are clues.

  http://bugs.ghostscript.com/attachment.cgi?id=9346
  http://artifex.com/page/licensing-information.html

It may be that GNU ghostscript gets fixes that are not applied to the
artifex version (perhaps because GNU contributors are willing to assign
copyright or grant GPL licenses but not agree to the artifex CLA).

Certainly 9.05 is getting crufty.

One can get 9.14 from ghostscript.com with just changing the version.
It is labeled as AGPL.   I diffed ghostscript-9.14 (from FSF) and
gnu-ghostscript-9.14 (from ghostscript.com/artifex) and the differences
seem like random bugfixes.   The license for gnu-ghostscript-9.14 is
AGPL3, and I think it's just a website bug that it doesn't say AGPL.

So I'd say that the real question is when we give up on
ghostscript-9.05.  I suspect there are still people who would rather use
that than use the AGPL version or not use ghostscript, so I don't think
we should be in a hurry to delete it (not that you suggested doing so).

I think it would be good to write to the GNU ghostscript people and ask
them to clarify AGPL3 vs GPL3.