Re: pbulk Builds Made Easy (removal of old bulk build support)

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> I think this is a good start, a couple of comments:
>
>  - I think we should put scripts related to pbulk in mk/pbulk, it
>    already exists and is clearly separate from the legacy mk/bulk, as
>    well as showing these are dedicated to pbulk and not any other bulk
>    build approaches.

Alright.

>  - As you acknowledge in your README, your approach does not cover all
>    cases.  For example it does not support chroots, at least not
>    natively.  As such I'd like to see it imported as pbulk-single.sh
>    or similar.

Not covering all cases is the most important part here.

The script serves several purposes. Among them:
1. Fast track for those who just want to build their 1000 packages
and do not want to bother with optimizations.
2. Fast track for those who want to understand how pbulk is supposed
to be set up.

(By the way, I touched this in my presentation on pkgsrcCon 2013,
but since everyone was tired by that time, obviously, everyone missed it.)

Because of this I intentionally left it straightforward so as not to clutter it
with memoization as mentioned below, support for idempotent operations,
or continuous build mode.

>  - It would be nice if the script supported multiple runs without
>    being destructive, e.g. preserve the bootstraps somewhere and
>    re-use them rather than re-bootstrapping all of pbulk each time.

There's a version that memoizes all those tools, but it is slightly
more convoluted and thus harder to understand.

> I will try to finish up my distributed scripts this quarter and get my
> pbulk chroot diffs into a state where they can be imported, then we
> should be able to offer similar scripts for easily setting up
> distributed and chrooted builds.  We can then offer users a couple of
> different options depending on their needs.

I can publish my distributed scripts right away. They use can this script as is
or with modifications to support some optimizations (like memoization of
bootstrapped pbulk tools). They are more convoluted, a bit harder to use,
harder to understand, and thus address stated goals less effectively.

--
HE CE3OH...