Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2014-07-10 at 14:21 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> Assuming you aren't going to set up bulk builds (a reasonable call; it's
>> not trivial)
>
> What can we do to address this?  I've written some documentation and
> infrastructure which should make this a lot simpler, but I would like
> it to become utterly painless, as I believe it is the only sensible
> upgrade mechanism.

I started to look into this a month or so ago, and found the section on
pbulk in the guide to be pretty thin.

> One thing would be pbulk kits - I have these for SmartOS, and can
> generate them for Linux/OSX and NetBSD if it would be useful.  Then
> hopefully it would just be a matter of customising pbulk.conf and
> having somewhere to publish results.
>
> Other ideas welcome.

I think having a script to start from close to nothing and do the chroot
setup and config file setup would be a huge step forward.   It may be
that things now are more intimidating than truly hard.