Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

On 10 July 2014 15:20, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> 1. in foo/bar, "cvs up -A", and try to build it.  if it works, make
>   replace.  Then pkg_rolling-replace -v to rebuild anything that depends
>   on foo/bar.
>
>   2. update all of pkgsrc with cvs up -A in /usr/pkgsrc.  in foo/bar,
>   make package, and every time it fails because it requires a new
>   version of a dependendency, go to that dependencies directory and do
>   "make replace".  When you're done, do pkg_rolling-replace -v (*not*
>   -u) to rebuild anything that depends on a replaced package.

Thanks Greg,

Two options that you have pointed out, neither of which I'm comfortable with.

What if went through a different route?

I accept the fact that many dependencies need upgrading. I then update
the whole pkgsrc, but I want to build the dependencies first and then
install them manually with "pkg_add -u" (or maybe "-uu).

How can I do that? "make depends" will "build and install
dependencies". What if I want just build them?

--
Ottavio