Re: man-page suffixes on Solaris 10

* On 2014-07-07 at 10:52 BST, Jörn Clausen wrote:

> After several months of hibernation, I tried to bootstrap pkgsrc on
> Solaris 10/i86 again. Bootstrap itself went fine, but the first
> packages fail, when they try to install either net/fetch or net/tnftp:
>
> => Automatic manual page handling
> pkg_create: can't stat
> `/pkgsrc/source/pkgsrc/net/libfetch/work.pkgsrc-i86/.destdir/usr/pkgsrc/20140707/man/cat3/fetch.0'
>
> Which is not surprising, as a few lines above fetch.3 was successfully
> created instead:
>
> /usr/pkgsrc/20140707/bin/bsdinstall   -c   -o pkgsrc -g software -m
> 644 fetch.cat3
> /pkgsrc/source/pkgsrc/net/libfetch/work.pkgsrc-i86/.destdir/usr/pkgsrc/20140707/man/cat3/fetch.3
>
> Which, according to PLIST, is both totally wrong:
>
> $ cat PLIST
> bin/fetch
> man/cat1/fetch.0
> man/man1/fetch.1
>
> i.e. it is expected in cat1, not cat3.
>
> The same happens for net/tnftp, so this is probably a more generic
> problem than anything related to net/fetch. Has something changed to
> man-page handling in the last... months?

Yes, I introduced CATMAN_SECTION_SUFFIX so that catman pages are
correctly installed on SunOS.  There shouldn't be anything specific
which is stopping this working on Solaris 10, it works fine on
illumos.

Can you check that you have a fully updated pkgsrc (e.g. no sticky
tags causing mk/platform/SunOS.mk to be missing the
CATMAN_SECTION_SUFFIX setting), and send me full logs?

What should happen on SunOS is that CATMAN_SECTION_SUFFIX is set to
'yes' in SunOS.mk, which then ensures that catman pages are installed
with the same suffix as their section.  This means that the line above
is correct, fetch.3 is installed in cat3, and then the SunOS man(1)
can find it.  There is logic in mk/plist/plist-man.awk which handles
the .0 suffix and converts it if necessary, but CATMAN_SECTION_SUFFIX
needs to be set correctly for everything to work.

Thanks,