Re: startx doesn't start: can't find screens

On 27 Jun 2014 at 8:59, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 19 June 2014 06:08, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost>
> wrote:
> > Now after doing a massive pkg_rolling-replace,
>
> Does 'pkg_rolling-replace' produce in practice the same results as
> 'pkgin full-upgrade' when using binary repositories?
>
> There's a thread of me getting a broken system using that command.
> Isn't it always a dangerous option to replace all packages at once?

Hi

I build packages on both i386 and amd64 first in chroot
then copy pkgsrc and pkg_tarup directories to target systems.
I use "pkg_chk -uan" as a first check to see what pkgs have
become obsolete or changed and delete those. I then run
"pkg_chk -buak" which probably replaces all but a handfull
of packages which are then manually added or built on the
target system (some binary packages seem to have hardcoded
user and group so need to be built on the target systems).

The chroot builds might take a couple of weeks but installs
of about 800 packages on my servers takes a couple of hours
each and about 2000 packages on my desktops also takes about
a couple of hours each.

I don't use pkg_rolling-replace other than as a check when
I have problems getting a package built and installed.

I've not had any problem with 'startx', I either have
"gdm=YES" in /etc/rc.conf or use "/etc/rc.d/gdm onestart".

David