Re: pkgin comments (mostly doc)

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

Thanks for the hints; I've omitted quoting things that I understood
(although it would be nice to get these in the man page).

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:46:55AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Reading the man page, I see the following missing information (and I
>> really don't know the answers):
>>
>>   - There is some database (pkgin update), but I don't know where it is
>>     stored.
>
> /var/db/pkgin is pkgin's directory
> below that it has:
> cache: for downloaded/linked binary packages
> pkg_install-err.log: pkg_add's error log
> pkgin.db: its own internal database
> sql.log: no idea

Thanks.  It would be nice to have these in the manpage.

>>   - Packages are downloaded to someplace, and cached.  I don't know
>>     where, how to control the location, whether there's a way to control
>>     the size, and whether there is any autocleaning of things that are
>>     obsolete (no longer in the current remote summary?).  Presumably
>>     clean removes them all.
>
> See above, /var/db/pkgin/cache. I don't think the location is
> configurable. I don't know how it cleans it up, if at all.

I suppose you really mean ${VARBASE}/pkgin/cache.

I use traditional unix partitioning, which means /var is not really
huge.  But I can symlink.

>>   - I don't really understand the notion of "upgrade" as only being
>>     about "keepable" packages.   Why would someone want to upgrade those
>>     only, but not dependencies?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking. If foo is keepable and DEPENDS on
> bar, pkgin will upgrade bar if a newer version is available.

There is "upgrade" and "full-upgrade".  THe man page says that upgrade
only upgrades "keepable" packages.  I don't understand why there is a
distinction.

>>   - It would be nice if the upgrade operation set the unsafe_depends
>>     flag, like pkgsrc's make replace, to ease interoperation of pkg_rr
>>     and pkgin in a mixed source/binary environment.   Perhaps pkgin
>>     could essentially get pkg_rr functionality.
>
> How is 'unsafe_depends' marked in packages?

It's a variable, set to YES, much like automatic

  $ pkg_info -B bup |egrep unsafe_depe
  pkg_info -B bup |egrep unsafe_depe
  unsafe_depends_strict=YES
  unsafe_depends=YES

"make replace" sets this on depending packages.  Arguably the right
thing is to have pkg_add -u set it on depending packages, and then pkgin
would inherit this behavior.  (I don't think anyone objects to doing
this.)