Re: Detecting OS-provided software on Linux

* On 2014-01-25 at 20:54 GMT, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

>  - bash is odd, as that is in the tools file for Linux and it is
>    pretty much guaranteed that /bin/bash will exist on a Linux system,
>    so I'm not sure why that's being pulled in.  I don't see any
>    version checks where it would pull in the pkgsrc version if the
>    builtin one is too old, so it would be interesting to debug this
>    case.

Sorry, I should have actually checked before posting - lang/go has a
runtime dependency on bash, which is why we use the version from
pkgsrc in this case.

Build dependencies can be verified at build time, which is how we can
get away with utilising native versions as necessary.  However when
dealing with runtime dependencies we cannot guarantee that all target
systems for a package will have that native version, and so we
unconditionally depend on the pkgsrc version.

While this may seem odd for something as critical as /bin/bash, there
is currently no distinction in pkgsrc between that and e.g. groff,
which may legitimately be installed on the build machine but not the
target.  All tools are treated equally.