Re: audio/faad2 redistribution

Hi

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:52:37 +0100
Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:

> Currently faad2 is marked as RESTRICTED, which matches the
> audiocoding.com homepage which suggests that binary distributions are
> not permitted due to patent issues.
>
> However, Debian appear to include it in their main archive:
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/stable/faad
>
> It seems unlikely that the Debian guys would make such a mistake, so
> does the patent no longer apply or is something else going on?  I'm
> struggling to find any clear references for this, and would like to
> make it unrestricted if possible.

According to this thread in the Debian bug tracker, FSF says it is OK
starting from faad2 version 2.6:

The patent issue statement from the website is different from the README
inside the distfile. The README warns about usage, not distribution of
binaries: "Please note that the use of this software may require the
payment of patent royalties."

--
Nicolas