Build failure for pkg-config 0.28 on Linux

It complains about not being able to run autm4te, even with autotools
installed (bootstrapped
with --unprivileged). It is running on a Centos 6.4 (Linux 2.6.32),
latest pkgsrc.

Most, if not all, dependencies I need (I'm trying to compile openmpi,
initially) are present
on the system (which also uses pkgsrc, in the default /usr/pkg
prefix), can I force
my unprivileged pkgsrc to prefer what is installed in the system
instead of resolving
all dependencies on its own?

Build log: http://pastebin.ca/2410193
pkg_info output: http://pastebin.ca/2410195