Help with printing a variable from a bsd makefile, from the commandline.

Hello,

I am trying to print a variable from a bsd makefile from the command
line, without editing said file.

I believe the command to do this is something like:

[bmake|make] -V [variable] pkgsrc/path/to/Makefile

For example; if I try and print the variable, PYPKGSRCDIR, from the
python package, it should look something like this:

/usr/pkg/bin/bmake -V "${PYPKGSRCDIR}" pkgsrc/lang/python/pyversion.mk

With the output being either:

../../lang/python33
or
../../lang/python32
or
../../lang/python31
or
[...]

Unfortunately, all I get is a blank line.

Could somebody explain where I'm going wrong, or if there is a bug in
bsd make?

Thanks,

Josh