Re: Why did devel/bison grow a dependency on xz?

On 8 October 2012 14:49, Marc Espie <espie%nerim.net@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:18:52AM -0500, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
>>
>> David Brownlee writes:
>> - The GCC_REQD=3.4 does make it much more expensive on older NetBSD
>> - versions - out of curiosity does it fail to build or at runtime if you
>> - try to build it with the builtin compiler?
>
> Note that xz only requires gcc >= 3 because it has variable declaration
> intermixed with other stuff.
>
> Since gcc2 is unlikely to grow that feature, fixing that in xz would be nice,
> and would be likely to be useful out of pkgsrc...

Well at the very least we can reduce the minimum gcc required to 3.0,
which removes the pain for NetBSD-2.1 and any other 3.0<=gcc<3.4
platform (Just updated archivers/xz/Makefile)

Not that adjusting xz isn't a more general solution, but the above
took barely longer than writing this and didn't need substantial
testing :)

David