Re: python25 removed

John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> writes:

> On 10/6/2012 16:42, David Holland wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:11:58AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>   >  Does anyone know of a reason why [python26] should stay?
>>
>> Yes. It is still being used, and it's neither broken nor unsupported
>> upstream.
>

> "It is still being used" needs clarification.

As dholland said, there are real systems out there running 2.6 (I have
seen them myself, very recently).  Updating to a new branch with pkg_rr
is not a big deal.  updating 2.6->2.7 is a potentially bigger deal.

The point of pkgsrc is to make things easier for users.  Users are
typically behind the curve compared to package maintainers.  So we'll
always have foo stuff that people who maintain foo stuff think is old;
that's ok.   The real issue is "you are running things that are so old
it's irresponsible to run them, and I can say that even though I don't
understand your constraints".  It's clear we aren't there yet for 2.6.
That's not surprising; we just arrived there for 2.5.