Re: KDE and the compose key

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Sverre Froyen wrote:

> BTW, what is the correct way of increasing the default soft limit for
> NetBSD (in my case current)? It is is currenly set to 2048, which is
> too small for running KDE with the Qt kqueue patches. I've tried to
> uncomment the default login class in /etc/login.conf and set
> openfiles-cur=4096 -- but that appears to no effect (I did run
> cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf).

That probably didn't work because you attempted to set the -cur to a
number greater than the -max limit.  Try setting the openfiles-max also
or try setting it without the -cur suffix.  See ulimit -nH too.

By the way, I don't know if the KDE login honors login classes.

> I can work around it by adding a "ulimit -n 4096" to my .profile but
> it seems there should be a way to change the system default.

I am also surprised that even using ~/.profile works; maybe because you
are logging into to a shell first and then starting KDE?

For the system wide open files limit, see the sysctl kern.maxfiles.
And see /etc/sysctl.conf.