Re: new www.pkgsrc.org - new.pkgsrc.org

from matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost>:

> I am developing a new page for www.pkgsrc.org to try and better
> represent/market/whatever the project.

> You can find it currently living at:
> http://new.pkgsrc.org

> I'm happy to take content and styling suggestions.

> I would also love suggestions on how to show more prominence to heavy
> non-NetBSD users of pkgsrc.

This looks like an improvement on www.pkgsrc.org which redirects to a page on
www.netbsd.org domain.

It would be nice to have a package search mechanism, whereby one could search
for a specific package by name.

I would like to see instructions for finding the options of all dependencies
for a big package.

I have this somewhere on a (deeply?) buried piece of paper, but many other
people would be interested too.

One problem with Linux is that there is no BSD-style base system, everything's
a package, even the kernel.

So how to get started with pkgsrc on Linux?

Possibly build a starter system following methods from
Linux From Scratch (www.linuxfromscratch.org) or
Cross Linux From Scratch (http://trac.cross-lfs.org) ?

But one would need up-to-date versions of packages that would be part of a BSD
base system.

I could come up with more styling suggestions when I get more time.

It would be nice to see something on Open Solaris forks including OpenIndiana
(openindiana.org)
and SchilliX (schillix.berlioz.de).

Tom