Re: tcsh pkg difference

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 05:06:53AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:14:31PM -0400, I'Khala X wrote:
>  > right right.  I don't know why, but I thought both were statically linked.
>
> Both are. The difference is that standalone-tcsh installs into /bin
> instead of your package tree.

At least on NetBSD the /usr/pkg/bin/tcsh one is dynamically linked (just like
/bin/sh is):

/bin/sh:           ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, relaxed memory
ordering, (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for NetBSD 6.99.9, not
stripped
/usr/pkg/bin/tcsh: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, relaxed memory
ordering, (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for NetBSD 6.99.7,
stripped

So if you have /usr/pkg/bin on a different disk than /, this tcsh might
not be a good candidate for the standard root shell, use
standalone-tcsh instead.

However, dynamic vs. static linking is not a problem here, you can always boot
-a and use /rescue/init and /rescue/sh if ld.elf_so breaks. (On NetBSD)

Martin