Re: Font dependencies

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:59:09AM -0500, Tim Larson wrote:
> > We should have a font meta pkg though, that installs all free fonts
> > (assuming fonts don't take long to build nor use any measurable amount of
> > disk space).
>
> That assumption has problems. Fonts DO take a non-zero amount of space, and
> honestly, many free fonts are garbage. Obviously there are some well-known
> good free fonts (Deja Vu, etc) but I'm not necessarily advocating everyone
> have the exact same installed font set, either.
>
> I think it much safer and saner to simply make the user responsible for
> installing a reasonable font set for his needs.  If you need Cyrillic,
> install a Cyrillic font.  If you need Hebrew, install a Hebrew font.  If
> program ${foo} doesn't use it properly even though it is installed, that's
> not a pkgsrc problem.

Well, that's basically what I meant: the available fonts are a property of
the setup, not the application in use. Let the admin/user decide. Don't
make pkgsrc force you.

The other point was optional, for ease of installation: for those
users/admins who want a "full" set of fonts, provide a meta-pkg.

Martin