Re: coreutils and GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX

On 30. 5. 2012, at 16:07, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2012 16:35:09 +0300
> Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Well, binutils uses different prefix: gnu-.
>> Obviously we can move tools to gnu/bin/ but I'm not sure about default
>> prefix in bin/.
>> "g" or "gnu-"?
>>
>> No time to analyse groff. I'll look at it later.
>
> groff is a different case, no?  There's no "roff" since, I don't know,
> the PDP-11 or something.
>
> The project refers to itself as "groff" and the documentation
> alternately uses "groff" or "troff" to refer to the GNU and AT&T
> implementations, respectively.  GNU has a troff implementation, and
> its groff and troff behave differently.

Yeah, groff is groff, but some binaries distributed with groff get a special
handling:

eqn, grn, indxbib, lookbib, neqn, nroff, pic, refer, soelim, tbl, troff

If an existing troff installation that passes a test is found by configure, it
will prefix these with 'g', otherwise no prefix is used. The pkgsrc Makefile
assumes that all SunOS platforms will be the former case, whereas in any other
case, the latter approach (no prefix) is applied. SmartOS (possibly Illumos
too?) has entered the second group though, breaking the SunOS condition.

I'm concerned what everybody would say if suddenly their groff package started
including g-prefixed tools (from the above list), hence I'm inclined to fix it
the other way, to consistently not use the prefix at all, since that's what all
the non-SunOS folks are used to obviously, anyway.

-F