Re: long-broken packages (some are removal candidates)

On 4/2/2012 20:16, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
Step forward and fix them then. You haven't tried so far, have you?
Perhaps, it is not hard with some diligence and at least minimal knowledge.
If you don't want to fix them, don't touch them then. Please, spend your
efforts on anything more constructive than pushing your views which packages
deserve to live and which do not.

Where I'm from, this is called hypocrisy. My response was to yours, which pushed views on which packages deserve to live. And yes, I tried to fix a number of them including stlport, aqsis, centericq, ArX and ocamlduce.

I know that this is harsh, but you force me to be harsh.

I would have used a different adjective.

I don't have time to deal with all this at once, and all you do with your
proposal is nothing but forcing your personal views which packages are
useful to people outside you or your community and which are not based
on reports for one particular operating system (NetBSD) running on one
particular platform (amd64).

It's got nothing to do with usefulness. If it's broken, and nobody *including you* is intending to fix it, then the pragmatic thing to do is kill it rather than leave it for more *years* on the broken list.

We have people slowly adopting pkgsrc on other systems, for other uses
and slowly fixing arising issues one by one. Your attitude "lets' remove
parallel/sge since following reports it fails for a long time" only harms
pkgsrc acceptance.

Why am I starting to think that you believe I'm David?

John