csup, cvsup (Re: [HEADS UP] packages not supporting destdir)

Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:

> Given the existence and use of csup (pkgsrc/net/csup)
>
>       Csup is a rewrite of CVSup in C.

> should we be spending time trying to force a square peg into a round hole
> with the m3 compiler? Does the gui bit of cvsup buy us anything?
>
> (Genuine questions, I don't use any of this myself)

I have heard multiple complaints that csup has problems, thus I'd put
this question differently, whether we want to continue supporting cvsup/csup
or whether we want to continue supporting cvsup/csup at all given that it
doesn't have good client. Does it have any advantages over rsync?
(Seriously, I don't know, never bothered to check it myself. Personally,
I prefer using either cvs or rsync. The latter must have all sorts of modern
interfaces most probably.)

Also, if csup is "the preferred way to update sources within the FreeBSD,
NetBSD and OpenBSD projects and more" as claimed in description, why do
we not have it in base system?? Am I missing anything?

--
HE CE3OH...