Best way to tweak PLIST on version bump

I succeeded in rebuild of games/gcompris with a version upgrade from very
ancient to current one.

When running install, I find that PLIST changes are required. Files that
no more exist are reported, though I am not sure if there are any newly
added files.

1. Shall I use make print-PLIST to generate a new PLIST or there is any
other manual method to be followed?

2. After tweaking PLIST, do I have to run make clean and build again and
then install? Can't I just make install target refer to new PLIST?

Mayuresh.