Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On 12-03-02 10:08 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Sorry if this sounds like a rant - but I think the underlying causes of
>> the pain your user is having are real and due to python changing the
>> language in incompatible ways.
>
> I keep seeing this idea in this thread and I really feel that someone
> has to stick up for Python.  I have been using Python for many years
> and other than moving from 1.x to 2.x and now 2.x to 3.x I have never
> found this to be true.  Even the 2.x to 3.x has a reasonable upgrade
> path.  What are these gross incompatibilities that everyone here is
> talking about?
>
> I am sure there are some minor issues from time to time that I haven't
> personally tripped over but as someone who is forced to maintain a PHP
> installation I find Python virtually seamless to upgrade.

Well, maybe I'm off.  But in that case, let's drop everything but 2.7
and call it plain python, no suffix on the package, and no suffix on the
installed files, and and remove all support for older versions, so that
we'd treat it like perl5.  Would that be ok?  (That's a serious
question; my impression is that it would not be ok.)

If it really would be ok, we should probably do it, because the
multi-version approach does cause some pain.

Or, we can change PYTHON_VERSION_REQUIRED to mean '>= X' instead of
having to list them all, so that by default when a new 2.x is added it
gets used.

(I am not talking about 1->2 and 2->3.)