Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2012, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> Something like this?
>>
>> <<If you need [want?] to keep several package versions in pkgsrc then
>> "category/pkgname" (without suffixes) should point to latest stable
>> version of software other versions being alternative (older versions
>> or development versions). In the latter case package name should [may?]
>> get version suffix.>>
>
> My suggestion:  You either have one package for one version of
> the software, or you have N+1 packages for N versions of the
> software.
>
> 1. If there is only one version of some software in pkgsrc, the
>    the pkgsrc directory name and package name should be the
>    base name of the software, without an embedded version number.
>
> 2. If there is more than one version of some software in
>    pkgsrc, then:
>
> 2.1.  The pkgsrc directory name and package name for each
>       version should contain an embedded version number
>       (e.g. "python26" and "python27").
>
> 2.2.  At the discretion of the maintainer, the multiple
>       versions may conflict with each other, or may be able to
>       coexist.
>
> 2.3.  There should also be an additional package without an
>       embedded version number (e.g. "python"), which depends
>       on the latest stable or recommended version of the
>       software.  At the discretion of the maintainer, there
>       may also be a variable to adjust which version appears
>       in the dependency.  For example, "python" could depend
>       on "python26" or "python27" according to the value of
>       PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT.
>
> 2.4.  If appropriate, the package without an embedded
>       version number should provide wrappers or symlinks
>       to make it easy for users to run the software.  Such
>       wrappers or symlinks are likely to be appropriate when
>       multiple versions can coexist, and are not likely to be
>       appropriate when multiple versions conflict with each
>       other.  For example, the "python" package could provide a
>       symlink for PREFIX/bin/python to the version selected by
>       PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT.

That sounds entirely reasonable, as long as people can choose to avoid
the python package with its attendant variable-binding problems, if they
favor reliability over convenience.

A nit is that sometimes we have 1 version, and then 2, and then back to
1, and I don't want us renaming back and forth.  So once we go to two,
if we move to one we should stay with versioned names for perhaps 3
years before renaming.

Overall, this would be a policy shift from how emacs is named, but I
wouldn't mind it happening.