Re: lang/openjdk7 on NetBSD 6.0_BETA i386 (xen PVM)

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:18:44PM +0100, Matthias Kretschmer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:05:03PM +0000, Robert Swindells wrote:
> > Matthias Kretschmer <kretschm%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:
> > >I tried compiling it and while compiling a built java instance seemed
> > >to just eat CPU time.  I stopped that after the java process took
> > >cumulative 500 minutes of CPU time (from both CPUs I have enabled in
> > >the PVM).
> >
> > Are you using any CPU specific compiler options ?
>
> no.  Standard options for the optimizer.  The option sun-jre-jce is
> not enabled (which is the default).  The only flag that might affect
> the compilation process is MAKE_JOBS which is set to four.

For the record, I keep getting multi-threading related hangs of java
(either sleep and do nothing for all its threads, or n of its threads
spinning around wildly and eating all CPU time they can find) basically
no matter which implementation, on multiple boxens, that are totally
random, not easily reproducible, not deterministic, for the past four
years. Christos was trying to reproduce some of my problems with what
I thought was a good test case (running comet scala lift apps), but
then again, that only failed for me and not him. I have since moved
my jvm (clojure, scala) based development onto other OSs since I
just cannot rely on NetBSD and java to work acceptably.

For the record #2, I do use cpuflags. Maybe I should try again without.

Regards,
-Martin