Re: RFC - p5-* dependencies and Perl core modules

Hi,

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 06:34:08 +0900, Ulrich Habel <rhaen%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:

We do have some packages which have p5-Archive-Tar as dependency for
example: mail/spamassasin (from the Makefile)

DEPENDS+=   p5-Archive-Tar>=1.23:../../archivers/p5-Archive-Tar

This makes no sense to me and I would like to remove those
dependencies as they are not needed. This would help us to remove
unneeded dependencies from pkgsrc and will help to build software
better, faster and more reliable. We should keep the p5 packages such
as Archive-Tar if someone wants to use a newer version for whatever
purposes, however, we should remove dependencies when they are not
needed.

Any opinions on this?

I would like to prepare a list of packages and their Makefile which
will be changed for your comments.

Hints:
The list of coremodules shipped with Perl can be generated by:

corelist -v v5.14.2 (our version we have in pkgsrc)

(Oh, I didn't realize such command!)
From `corelist -a Archive::Tar', Archive::Tar is first released with perl
v5.9.3 as 1.26_01.
So for spamassasin, dependency pattern should be changed as following:

DEPENDS+=   {perl>=5.9.3,p5-Archive-Tar>=1.23}:../../archivers/p5-Archive-Tar

I feel that we can improve pkglint(1) to warn about such dependency and rise
suggested pattern.

--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost