pkgsrc binary packages vs pkg tool bumps

ok ... just installed a fresh NetBSD 5.1 in a VM and attempting to install
packages from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.1_2011Q3/All
(in the example below I had downloaded the package from the same
location rather than relying on $PKG_PATH)

  auqakuh# pkg_add ./tcsh-6.17.00nb1.tgz
  pkg_add: Error: package `tcsh-6.17.00nb1' was built with a newer pkg_install
version
  pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

so, I downloaded the only pkg_install tarball there, namely
pkg_install-20110805.tgz which didn't seem to be that current, overwrote
my system pkg tools, same result ...

... what's the best way to get around this? I don't want to install and
compile pkgsrc proper as this is a limited resource VM

should we not have a current pkg_install package somewhere?

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left