Re: python packages

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 06:42:00PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 05:35:19PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > If I have a package which depends on py-xdg, presumably I should just
> > .include "../../devel/py-xdg/buildlink3.mk"
> > in the same way as other dependencies, or is it different for python?
> > (There is no buildlink file in py-xdg)
>
> b3.mk is only needed if you need to compile or link against DSOs as part
> of the build process. That's quite rare.
>
> Normally you just want to depend on it directly:
>
> DEPENDS+=     ${PYPKGPREFIX}-xdg-[0=9]*:../../devel/py-xdg

Thank you - I patched misc/orca in pkg/45807. It seems to me that all
the buildlinks in that Makefile should just be DEPENDS? (The configure
script tests that the python modules can be imported, not that the
shared libraries can be linked to.) I didn't change what was there though.

> > If I have an (unrelated) python "package" which really is just a single
> > python script, is all the lang/python/{extension,application} machinery
> > necessary, if only to get REPLACE_PYTHON to work?
>
> You should normally follow the Python naming system. To get that and
> REPLACE_PYTHON, you want lang/python/application.mk.

Thank you : py-itstool in pkg/45797.

This begs the question: orca is a python program, so should it be py-orca
in pkgsrc parlance? (And what should a gnome 3 version be called? py-orca3?)

Cheers,

Patrick