Re: Up-to-date browser?

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 02:26:17PM +0100, 1126 wrote:
> I'm considering switching from Linux to NetBSD and one of the steps
> preceding my installation is to check wether all the software I need
> is available. Hence, I was browsing through the available packages
> and couldn't find Chromium and Firefox is not up-to-date. That seems
> awkward, so I'm confused. Are there no up-to-date-ports for the
> open-source browsers?

I am sailing in the same boat. I keep both systems handy as some things
still don't work on NetBSD.

For chromium see one of the recent discussions:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-wip-review/2011/12/03/msg001356.html

IMO firefox is not so _outdated_ on NetBSD. However I have not been able
to get flash and java plugins work.

Haven't tried opera on NetBSD. Perhaps that might work.

Besides browser I face problems with sharing my Linux and NetBSD file
systems. Unfortunately the stable 5.1 version does not have support for
inode size > 256. So can't mount my Linux home directory on NetBSD. Have
to sync rc files etc manually all the time.

Other things I failed to get work on NetBSD - quite frustratingly so are:

- Printer support
- Sound card support

Eagerly waiting for NetBSD 6 to solve some of these issues, though not
sure about A. which of these will get resolved B. time line for 6.0

Mayuresh.