Re: 'Being supported' in pkgsrc means...?

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:12:03 +0100 Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:30:56PM +0200, Julian Fagir wrote:
> > pkgsrc/guide/files/platforms.xml contains the following phrase:
> >
> >   FreeBSD 4.7 and 5.0 have been tested and are supported, other versions
> >   may work.
> >
> > I think that information is fairly outdated, and I had despite one problem
> > that is already reported in a PR no problems using pkgsrc on FreeBSD 8.2
> > in a jail (mainly for Latex, no X packages).
> >
> > So: What are the specifications for being 'tested and supported'? Or is it
> > possible to update that information?
>
> I think it means that's the last time someone spent some serious time
> building packages for this system :)
> How many packages did you build?
rosa# /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info | wc
      79     534    4784
I can provide a detailed listing if you want, but explicitly installed were
only three: tex-pdftools, tex-latex and texlive-tetex, the rest are
dependencies.

> I think for updating the "supported" version number, we should have
> tested some packages like firefox or so...
Unfortunately, I have no FreeBSD system available to build X packages -
there's just not enough space and it's headless, anyway.

Regards, Julian