Re: newbie destdir question

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011, Patrick Welche wrote:
On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 04:48:05PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:

Given a -current NetBSD box, with -current pkgsrc. USE_DESTDIR=yes is now
the default? So a

cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnome
make package

could fill up /usr/pkgsrc/packages with plenty of binary packages ready
for installation elsewhere, but not install gnome on the build box?
(Just using all the default variable settings.)

Yes.  But asking to make a package is not what you want; you want to ask
that the package be made and installed:

  make package-install

But that was right - I didn't want to install the package on the build
box. So here we go - cpu cycle burning time :-)

Each package's dependencies will be installed though (which in the case of a meta package is ~the whole thing).

As Greg says, a chroot (pkg_comp perhaps) wlil help a lot.

--
Stephen