Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

At Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:35:48 -0700, jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John
Nemeth) wrote:
Subject: Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some
platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

>      X11 on NetBSD-4 is very old.  You can only build basic apps
> against it.  If you try to build anything even remotely fancy, it will
> probably fail.  I think NetBSD-4 should probably be switched to
> modular.

I'm not quite sure I understand your claim John.

I have successfully built "lots" of "modern" applications, via pkgsrc,
and linked them against the X11 libraries supplied by the native NetBSD
xsrc, and they seem to run fine as well.

When I say "lots" I don't mean all of those in pkgsrc, but certainly
quite a few, and they're as modern as whatever is current in pgksrc.

I don't know if it makes any difference that I actually use xsrc-current
with NetBSD-4 (and NetBSD-5), but if it does, well there you go.  :-)

I should also mention that I have not, in the past couple of years, made
much use of the native X11 Xserver built and installed from xsrc (beyond
using its own applications and a very few from pkgsrc such as emacs, gv,
xv, etc.).  Prior to that the only problems I had with the native X11
Xserver were to do with missing extensions (esp. Render), but that's the
same problem as I get when using older Xterms such as my NCDs, and it
really doesn't have anything at all to do with how the packages are
built and linked, and indeed packages from pkgsrc had this problem with
older Xservers even when they were linked with the native X11 libraries.

I really like having the "native" X11 (i.e. the one integrated into the
build process and which is part of the NetBSD basic install media), for
all the reasons I've already mentioned in this thread.  Given that it
only seems "right" that pkgsrc build and link with those native
libraries, else I end up with a whole lot of nearly duplicated libraries
installed on those systems where I also want to have the native X11.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/