Re: Advice sought: which X11 for NetBSD 5.* (going forward) ??

On 09.09.2011 03:55, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:44:35PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>> Long ago, I (and I suspect most other non-masochists) dumped the
>> native X11 on NetBSD 4 based systems in favour of the much more
>> modern pkgsrc modular Xorg system.
>>
>> But, on NetBSD 5, I have continued using native X11 (Xorg based I
>> believe) rather than the pkgsrc version.
>
> I use native one. But it's not an informed choice. I just went by "native
> might be better tuned for NetBSD simply because it exists" hunch.
>
> A basic question: Why does such choice exist in NetBSD? What is the trade
> off for the users in choosing one over the other?

I am not sure it's a matter of choice; the X server has always been a
big part of the src tree, and was integrated inside because it was
convenient (it could reuse the cross-compilation framework that exists
in src and a release could be shipped with a working X server).

A few years back, X.org started to modularize its code, so it wasn't
shipped in a monolithic fashion anymore. It got split in multiple
packages, something more suitable for pkgsrc. However, as NetBSD does
not have an easy way to integrate third party pkgsrc packages inside src
yet, works gets duplicated between pkgsrc and src.

That's how I see it.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost