pkgsrc-2011Q2 - emacs fonts: Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font

Hi:

Thanks to help from Greg Troxel I was able to get emacs installed but
when I bring it up I get the following warning:

% emacs

(emacs:20719): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

And the display is hosed. I tried installing a number of fonts but that
didn't help as well explicitly setting fonts in the ~/.emacs file.

Can anyone suggest an approach to solving this problem? I am stuck
because.

Here is how to reproduce the problem:

% PKG_ROOT=/tools/sw/centos-5.5-x86_64

% PKGSRC_DIR=$PKG_ROOT/pkgsrc

% PKG_DIR=$PKG_ROOT/pkg

% export PATH=$PKG_DIR/bin:$PKG_DIR/sbin:$PATH

% mkdir -p $PKG_ROOT

% cd $PKG_ROOT

% export CVS_RSH=ssh

% cvs -q -z3 -d anoncvs%anoncvs.NetBSD.org@localhost:/cvsroot checkout -P pkgsrc

% cd $PKGSRC_DIR/bootstrap

% ./bootstrap --prefix=$PKG_DIR -unprivileged

% cat >>$PKG_DIR/etc/mk.conf <<EOF

# Added to make X11 based packages work.

.ifdef BSD_PKG_MK

X11_TYPE=       modular

MAKE_JOBS=      2

.endif

EOF

% cd $PKGSRC_DIR/editors/emacs

% bmake

% bmake install

% emacs

(emacs:20719): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

Here are some commands I ran to check the available fonts:

% fc-match

DejaVuLGCSans.ttf: "DejaVu LGC Sans" "Book"

% fc-list | sort -fu

Bitstream Charter:style=Bold

Bitstream Charter:style=Bold Italic

Bitstream Charter:style=Italic

Bitstream Charter:style=Regular

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique