Re: make update and automatic install flag

  I did make update of perl package an found  automatic install flag set to
manual
  on all dependent packages, though most of them were not manually installed.

  IMHO this flag is usefull if preserved intact during make update.
  What is the reason of changing it?

I think it's a bug to have changed it on 'make update', for the package
itself, as well as the dependencies.  'make replace' doesn't change the
flag.

I would be in favor of a code change to preserve the automatic flag on
make udpate - but I don't use make update at all because of prior bad
experiences leaving the system in a missing-packages state.
Now, I either use pkg_rolling-replace or do bulk builds and binary
update from that.