Re: protecting compiler from accidental updates

Jörn Clausen <joern.clausen%uni-bielefeld.de@localhost> writes:

>> pkg_rolling-replace has --exclude option
>
> Yes, and the man-page states
>
>  -X pkgs   Exclude the comma-separated list of package base names from
>            being rebuilt for any reason.
>
> But my experience is, that if the excluded package is updated because
> a prerequisite changed, a) the prerequisite gets installed and b) the
> excluded package is built anyway. You'd have to exclude the complete
> dependency tree. Maybe this option was meant to work differently, but
> it does not.

What it does is prevent "make replace" from being called on that
package.  So you're right, if the package is a dependency of some other
package, it won't do what you want.  But the 'package-install'
DEPENDS_TARGET should fail.

> Hm, with DESTDIR and the binary packages built as a side effect, do
> you still need a script? Anyway, I will probably start using ZFS and
> snapshots, to protect me from this type of mishap.

I had always done 'make package' not 'make install', so things didn't
change with DESTDIR for me.  But my script typically doesn't have to tar
up any packages because they're there already.

I long ago gave up on the notion of general support for keeping some
packages not updated.  It only seems sane in the edge-case of leaf
packages that aren't strongly connected to the rest in the graph sense.