recent ccache trouble?

I have a mac with 10.6.7, using mostly default pkgsrc settings, so
-m32.  Packages are basically all ok.

I have:

PKGSRC_COMPILER=        ccache gcc
CCACHE_DIR=             /Users/gdt/.ccache

in mk.conf.  However, I seem to get only cache misses.  In
graphics/xplot-devel, after just building, I did ccache -z to clear the
stats, and then built again, getting the following.

gdt 97 /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/xplot-devel > ccache -s
cache directory                     /Users/gdt/.ccache
cache hit (direct)                     0
cache hit (preprocessed)               0
cache miss                            18
called for link                        1
autoconf compile/link                 11
unsupported compiler option            6
no input file                          3
files in cache                      2256
cache size                          10.1 Mbytes
max cache size                      10.0 Gbytes

On NetBSD/i386 5.1ish, I instead get:

cache directory                     /home/gdt/.ccache
cache hit (direct)                     0
cache hit (preprocessed)               3
cache miss                            15
called for link                        1
autoconf compile/link                  6
unsupported compiler option            8
no input file                          3
files in cache                    698752
cache size                           7.5 Gbytes
max cache size                      10.0 Gbytes

My memory is that until at least recently ccache used to be very
effective at caching pkgsrc builds.

Any clues?  I have "ccache version 3.1.4"; perhaps this is a regression