Re: GTK1 vs GTK2 (was: Re: [HEADS UP] Package removal -- please check)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:03:06 +0700
Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

> What I want to do is paste in the new name from where it is selected
> elsewhere, whether I do that with a mouseclick or keystroke is not
> important right now.   The problem is that when that small window
> appears, with that "Type name of new folder" test in it, GTK2 makes
> that text become the current X selection, so whatever I had selected
> before is de-selected.   OK, I can just make another selection - or
> I should be able to .. and of course that works, but when I move the
> focus out of the file save dialog box, the "Type name of new folder"
> nicely vanishes (someone is assuming that I changed my mind, and no
> longer want to create a new "folder").   Having re-selected the
> string that I want to be the name of my new directory, I have to go
> back and push the "create folder" button again, which grabs the
> selection again, and around and around we go.

Yes this is annoying and it should have been designed better. One
workaround is to select the text you want to copy and then press Ctrl-C
and when you get back to "Type name of new folder", press Ctrl-V to
paste it. This should at least work with GTK and KDE applications.

You can probably get utilities that save a history of selections of text
into a buffer. KDE comes with one by default.

PS. My biggest annoyance with GTK2 was/is the file chooser. If you open
a large directory, e.g. /usr/pkg/bin, or /usr/packages/All, it scans
every file trying to determine it's format/extension in order to
display different icon for different file types. On my old Sun Ultra 10
machine I could literraly sit there for something like 10 seconds
waiting for GTK2 file chooser to finish it's buisiness. This is just
idiotic!