Re: How to automatically update dependencies when building a package?

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:27, Thomas Mueller
> <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
> > Now I wonder if there is any way to convert packages already built using
> > non-package-manager configure and make, and installed to a staging-area
> +DESTDIR before being installed to prefix /usr or /usr/local, to
> pkgsrc-compatible binary format.

> No.

> --Benny.

Yuck.  Slackware has pkgtools for binary packages, including makepkg, which
enable making a Slackware-compatible package from a non-Slackware-specific
already-built package. So I thought a more-advanced package-management system
might do even better.

> > When I installed Slackware, I never thought about switching to pkgsrc, I
> > wanted a full-functional system, so I installed everything.
> If you intend to use pkgsrc on Slack, the way to go is: 1) install a very
> minimal base + gcc and 2) pull everything else from pkgsrc, including X11.
> YMMV of course.

So now is too late for me to try to install pkgsrc.  If I tried removing a lot
of Slackware packages, I might just get a royal mess, with no assurance that
pkgsrc would improve the situation.

Tom