Re: How to automatically update dependencies when building a package?

I never intended to install pkgsrc packages to the same prefix as Slackware
packages.

Slackware packages have prefix /usr, except for those that go to /bin, /sbin
and/or /lib , hence no conflict in using pkgsrc's default prefix /usr/pkg .

When I installed Slackware, I never thought about switching to pkgsrc, I wanted
a full-functional system, so I installed everything.

I don't like the thought of trying to build something like Seamonkey from
pkgsrc and then having pkgsrc install, in duplicate, dependencies that I
already have in Slackware.

Now I have practically dropped plans to bring pkgsrc to Linux, either on
present computer or a new computer.

I've been through more than enough x11-links hell in NetBSD, don't want to
bring that to Linux.

Now I wonder if there is any way to convert packages already built using
non-package-manager configure and make, and installed to a staging-area DESTDIR
before being installed to prefix /usr or /usr/local, to pkgsrc-compatible
binary format.

I didn't know it was advisable to tell pkg_rolling-replace to keep going in
case of error (-k option), but I guess there is nothing more to lose.

Apparently other package managers have other, more automatic, ways of dealing
with ABI issues.  FreeBSD with its ports system, issues an UPDATING file,
extracted as /usr/ports/UPDATING, telling about special procedures needed to
upgrade a particular port when special tricks are needed.

Tom