Re: installation prefix with pkgsrc including non-BSD: always /usr/pkg?

> Keeping pkgsrc separate from the base system fits well with BSD, but
> with Linux, where everything is part of a package, it's a different
> matter.

Unless you *really* understand what you are doing, I would strongly
recommend you bootstrap pkgsrc to /usr/pkg or any other non-/usr prefix,
e.g.  /opt/pkgsrc or something like this. Otherwise your native Linux
packages will likely conflict with pkgsrc packages. As a result your
system will quickly become a mess. I see only one case when it makes
sense to have pkgsrc under /usr -- when it is *the only* packaging
system on your Linux, i.e. when you run pkgsrc-based distribution.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.