Re: Starting with pkgsrc on already-established Linux (Slackware) installation, how to bootstrap when pkgsrc is read-only?

> How would I bootstrap pkgsrc to run in Linux, when pkgsrc is on a partition
> that is read-only from Linux (NetBSD 5.1_STABLE installation)?
>
> Where I would put the work directory?  Normally it would be
> /usr/pkgsrc/category/package-name/work, but I would not have this directory
> on Linux, so where do I put the work directory, lacking individual package
> directories?  This would be no problem with NetBSD 5.99.44 on USB stick, or
> 4.0.1 on another USB stick, since I can have work directories work51, work599
> and work401 so they don't get in each other's way (no read-only problem).

On Debian, I use:

env SH=/bin/bash MANZ=yes MAKE_JOBS=2 STRIPFLAG=-s CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer" NOGCCERROR=yes ./bootstrap --workdir /tmp/pkgsrc

After bootstrapping, to change the work directory, you'll have to edit
/usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf and put there something like this:

WRKOBJDIR=/tmp/pkgsrc

> I could use /usr/pkg as pkgsrc installation prefix with no conflict, but I
> have to be able to recognize dependencies already built in prefix /usr
> (Slackware) and /usr/local (some of my own builds).  I could let pkgsrc
> record package builds in /var/db/pkg with no conflict, but Slackware packages
> are listed in /var/log/packages where the format is quite different from
> /var/db/pkg in NetBSD and FreeBSD.  I would also have to be sure that pkgsrc
> would recognize include and lib files in each of these three prefixes.  I
> don't want to install a lot of packages in duplicate.

That would be tricky. Some packages can detect system libraries (those with
builtin.mk), but most of the dependencies have to be rebuilt.

Kind regards,
Adam