Something is very wrong with lang/kaffe

During the last few days, I have been testing wip/jdk15 on various machines,
and I have also received some private mails on this subject.

The new building process is taken from the OpenBSD jdk 1.5 port and involves
lang/kaffe as a bootstrap java compiler.

I had no trouble with it on DragonFly/x86_64; other platforms are a different
matter. Most of the time, the jdk15 build fails during the first invocations
of kaffe, with errors which don't really make any sense :

  cd ../generated;   /usr/pkgsrc/wip/jdk15/work/bin/java -classpath . MakeDeps
  diffs UnixPlatform platform.current includeDB.current
  /usr/pkgsrc/wip/jdk15/work/hotspot/build/bsd/platform_amd64 includeDB
  Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
  Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
  java/lang/StackOverflowError
  This error may occur because the stack size is not sufficient.
  Try to increase the stack size using 'ulimit -s' or with the '-ss'
  option on kaffe.
  [1]   Segmentation fault (core dumped) /usr/pkgsrc/wip/...

The actual error messages vary from time to time.
I suspect it is a case of miscompilation of the kaffe binaries.

On DragonFly/i386, the only way I have found to build the jdk is to compile
kaffe with the included gcc 4.4.2 and no optimizations (CFLAGS=-O0). Binaries
build with the default gcc 4.1.2 always end up in failure.

On NetBSD/amd64 and NetBSD/i386, even if the initial errors can be overcome,
some kaffe instances end up sitting in place and doing nothing. top and ps
show a running kaffe-bin process, using 0% cpu.

--
Francois Tigeot