mouse doesn't work with kdebase-4.4.4nb1

Could you tell me how to get a mouse to work with kdebase4-4.4.4nb1 please?

After installing the kdebase4-4.4.4nb1 package on a NetBSD/i386 5.0.2 machine and creating /root/.xinitrc [1] executing startx launches KDE but the mouse cursor won't move. I've tried on a desktop (tried both a PS/2 and Microsoft optical USB mouse) and Lenevo ThinkPad SL500 laptop (tried both the internal trackpad and a Microsoft optical USB mouse). The USB mouse lights up when it's plugged in to the ThinkPad and these lines are printed on the console:

uhidev0 at uhub5 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM), rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0

There seems to be no need to create /etc/X11/XF86Config since /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config is no longer present.

Ray

[1]

# cat /root/.xinitrc
startkde