Re: making pkg_rolling-replace make all packages first

2010/9/29 Gergely GÃbor <elentirmo.gilgalad%gmail.com@localhost>:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:25:29AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How Can I make pkg_rolling-replace work in this manner?
>>
>> 1) Fetch all sources
>> 2) Make packages of all packages that needs to be updated.
>> 3) Then only delete packages
>> 4) Install the upgrade package as soon as a packages is deleted
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> --Siju
> Unfortunately you cannot, as far as i know, due to the working of
> pkg_rr, as it does modify the packages of the runnign system. To
> understand why i say this (but i may as well be wrong), let me explain:
>
> 1) You can fetch all sources, with a little scripting handywork in advance

Isn't the -F switch meant to do exactly that?

> 2) I think this can not be done, because the packages that are rebuilt
> start to be rebuilt from the deepest points of the dependency tree, and
> those _must_ be replaced before others depending on these could be
> linked against them. This makes it impossible for pkg_rr to first build,
> then replace, as the linking is done against the packages installed.
>
> Although you may work this behaviour around, with the waste of some disk
> space: you can create a chroot environment, where you replicate your
> setup, and run pkg_rr inside the chroot, where it will update the
> in-chroot tree. after that you can simply rsync /usr/pkg and related
> things out, or you may use pkgin or some other tool of your chioche, to
> update from the binaries generated.

I have been using a pkg_comp chroot for building packages in the past
(as described here:
<http://www.netbsdfr.org/wiki/doku.php?id=howto:pkg_comp>).

In the past, I used to update packages manually and only when I
absolutely had to by entering the chroot environment and running make
update where needed, until I got really too busy to keep doing that.
Recently (i.e. the day before yesterday) I decided to give pkg_rr a
try for the first time, and have been running it on and off in the
pkg_comp chroot since then.  It is nowhere close to finishing yet
(this is on a laptop that is travelling a lot).

Any suggestions for better solutions would be quite welcome of course.

Pouya