pkgsrc quarterly vs. current?

What is the reason for both pkgsrc current and quarterly?  Is there a big
difference in the stability of the pkgsrc structure itself?  I think it would
be about the same.

I am strongly inclined to go with the current version because I don't see any
advantage in waiting three months after release of a software application, such
as Abiword, gnumeric or Seamonkey just because it was released just after the
quarterly pkgsrc.

FreeBSD ports collection has no separate current and quarterly versions.  Do
any other source-based package managers have distinct current and quarterly
versions?

Tom