Thunderbird instability?

I've been having the roughest time with Thunderbird 3.x (first 3.0.5 and
currently 3.1.1).  It crashes often and corrupts the SSL certificate
database (cert8.db) when it does.  Fortunately, I have a backup copy
that I copy back into place when this happens.

Sometimes, it will delete my personal certificate during the course of
operation.  If T-bird doesn't crash shortly thereafter, I have to quit
T-bird, copy the backup cert8.db into place, and restart T-bird.

The instability was even worse when "mozilla-lightning" was enabled at
build time.  I turn if off (and turn EnigMail on) with

  PKG_OPTIONS.thunderbird+=mozilla-enigmail -mozilla-lightning

I never had crashing problems with Thunderbird 2.x (or even 1.x).

I suspect the instability/crashing problems may be related to cruft
accumulated with my long-lived mail folders across 3 major versions of
T-bird and an OS/CPU change (started on MacOS X/ppc with T-bird 1.x,
then 2.x, then moved to NetBSD/i386 with T-bird 2.x).  On a NetBSD/i386
system where I started with 2.x, 3.x seems to behave itself, except for
SSL certificates.

Since 2.x and continuing with 3.x, I cannot create a new profile and
import my personal certificate.  It always reports "PKCS12 operation
failed for unknown reason."  I can import my certificate as an "Other
People's Certificates" and I have no problem adding additional CA Root
Certificates.

These are all probably upstream issues for Mozilla.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems with Thunderbird 3.x?