Re: How to reduce the cost of the ports collection?

    Date:        Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:38:54 +0200
    From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>

  | Set WRKOBJDIR to some other directory and just run rm -rf in it.

Given that just about everyone agrees that any way to avoid running
"make clean" in pkgsrc is worthwhile, is there a reason that
pkgsrc/mk/install/bin-install.mk in the do-bin-install-from-source
target includes ...

        ${PKG_INFO} -qe "$$pkgpattern" || {                             \
                ${STEP_MSG} "No binary package found for $$pkgpattern;
installing from source."; \
                ${RECURSIVE_MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS}
DEPENDS_TARGET=${DEPENDS_TARGET:Q} package-install \
                && ${RECURSIVE_MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} clean;                \
        }

In particular, is there any good reason for the

        ${RECURSIVE_MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} clean

part of that?

I have been running with that removed for a year or so now (since at least
August last year, perhaps a little earlier than that) with no ill effects that
I am able to discern (but I do tend to use those alternate methods of cleaning
up fairly frequently.

A few of the people who are perhaps reading this have seen me complain
about make clean running twice ... this line is why - the first one is from
pkg_comp explicitly doing "make clean" (I have an option in my pkg_comp
that skips that when I don't need it - which is almost always) the second
one is from the above makefile fragment (I use "bin-install" as my default
target for all builds as almost everything exists as a pre-built binary
package already.)

Could we perhaps remove that recursive clean - it is VERY VERY slow on
big packages, and as you indicate, it is really easy to implement a
simpler, faster, cleanup for when it is needed?

kre