Re: How to reduce the cost of the ports collection?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Francisco Garc?a Rodr?guez wrote:

> I am trying to reduce the cost of working with pkgsrc packages
> collection by filtering out packages I am not interested in. A simple
> make clean from the root takes ages, and cvs update also takes its
> time.

For make clean of everything try to use pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgclean.

> Basically I wanted to filter out individual ports and/or whole
> collections (audio, finance, games...). First I tried with a CVS
> ignore file. Modifications were ignored but a "cvs update" pulled out
> the ignored folders.

You can not easily do this -- most packages have dependencies and
directly include files from various parts of the pkgsrc tree.

> what do you do to reduce the cost of working with the pkgsrc tree?

Some people run cvs up -dP from a cron job.

I don't run "make clean" from the top level.

If you really want to save time just use already-made binary packages --
hopefully available direct from NetBSD's download servers.