Re: Dependencies of meta-pkgs/gnome [was Re: Adding a gnome-lite package]

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 01:09:48PM +0000, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> I personally would prefer keeping the number of basically equivalent
> packages small and introduce some options there. Otherwise the amount
> of new packages switches from self-maintaining package list to search
> most fitting package.

What's the benefit of options in a meta-package?

If I want eg. Gnome and Firefox, I will simply install gnome-lite and
firefox, rather than enabling the "firefox" option of the gnome-lite
package.  The goal of gnome-lite (or whatever the name) is just to save
the users from having to scrape together the set of relevant libraries
and tools themselves, not to be the one meta-pkg-to-rule-them-all.

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F